Finance Assistant Job at International Organization for Migration
Finance Assistant Job at International Organization for Migration: The International Organization for Migration (IOM), a leading inter-governmental organization is currently seeking applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position of : Finance Assistant.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Finance Assistant Job at International Organization for Migration.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Assistant
SVN No.: SVN2019/82
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Organizational Unit: Resource Management (Finance)
IOM Classification: Special Short Term (SST) Grade equivalent, G4
Type of Appointment: Contract Basis, 06 Months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Working under the overall guidance the Resource Management Officer and the direct supervision of the National Finance Officer, the incumbent will assist in all the required administrative and financial activities of the mission. s/he will carry out the following duties and responsibilities;
Core Functions / Responsibilities
Assist with day to day finance activities:
- Support in timely review of cash position for local accounts to ensure sufficient funds on hand for disbursements.
- Enter payments, receipts and non-cash vouchers in SAP accounting system.
- Ensure all supporting documentation and signatures are obtained before finalizing vouchers.
- Maintain the Petty Cash account of the Mission.
- Support the Head of Finance to maintain appropriate internal controls to safeguard the assets, control cash and prevent fraud.
- Support with the maintenance of an effective banking system in the mission including the sub offices
- Primary contact with the local bank management in Lagos and the sub-offices on routine operational matters including negotiation of exchange rate on currency conversion.
- Participate in preparation of funding requests for the mission and ensure that sufficient funds are available locally;
- Prepare monthly accounting returns package to be sent to HQ & regional offices
- Recommend improvements to internal controls to improve operational efficiencies.
- Maintains appropriate financial filing system.
- Maintain files of all financial instructions/guidelines issued as reference for completion of work assignments.
- Collate Request for Payment (RFP) and other finance documents sent from sub-offices for further processing
- Prepare basic finance documents for payments and ensure relevant supporting documents are attached;
- Verify invoices and expense claims, and ascertain that the equipment, supplies or services they refer to are duly received or provided before payment is made;
- Maintain a proper filing system of all approved vouchers and relevant financial documents;
- Ensure all supporting documentation and signatures are obtained before finalizing vouchers; 8. Bring to the attention of the supervisor any relevant financial, budgetary and administrative issues;
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Completed University Degree or Certificate in Business or Public Administration, Accounting, Finance, Economics; or an equivalent combination of education, training & experience;
- Minimum of four years (or Two Years for Holders of University Degrees) in related field, preferably within United Nations or the International Humanitarian Field an advantage;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality; Proactive; Independent Worker; A great team player; Fast Learner; IT Literate; Interpersonal Skills; Administrative & Time Management Skills; SAP knowledge is desirable.
- Fluency in English and Native Language;
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Application Closing Date
3rd July, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications via email to: [email protected] indicating position applied on subject line
- For the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line SVN2019/82 Abuja. Finance Assistant (Treasury) G4
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV.
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.